Today we take a closer look at the coverages included in a typical homeowners insurance policy. Read on to learn more about homeowner insurance in California, from a basic definition to tips on building a policy that works for you.
What Does Homeowners Insurance Cover in California?
Homeowners insurance is designed to protect your home —one of your most valuable assets— and shield you from some of the risks that come with homeownership.
A homeowners insurance policy provides two types of protection: property coverages and liability coverages.
Property coverages include the following:
- Dwelling. Helps pay or replace your home and attached structures if they are damaged by a peril covered in your policy.
- Other structures. Offers financial protection for detached structures such as tool sheds and gazebos.
- Personal property. Covers personal belongings that are particularly susceptible to loss, such as jewelry, silverware, money, and fine arts.
- Loss of use. Pays for additional living expenses if your home becomes uninhabitable after a covered incident.
Liability coverages, on the other hand, fall into two categories:
- Personal liability. Offers financial protection if you or a resident of your home is legally responsible for injuries to others.
- Medical payments. Helps pay medical expenses if someone sustains injuries as a result of an accident on your property. Note that this coverage does not include your medical costs or those of the people who reside in your home.
Homeowners insurance rates vary depending on many factors. If you want to lower your premiums, ask for multi-policy discounts and consider raising your deductible. Other ways to save include installing devices such as smoke detectors or fire/burglar alarms, or taking advantage of senior citizen discounts.
If you need homeowners’ insurance in California, don’t hesitate to seek the assistance of the experts at RF1 Insurance Services. We’ll help you make sense of your options and find the best rate the market has to offer.
RF1 Insurance Services: Homeowners Insurance in Southern California
Looking for Homeowner Insurance in the Golden State? RF1 Insurance is your trusted local Safeco agency serving Southern California. Get in touch today: our agents stand ready to meet all your insurance needs.